In bygone times, planning for Charlotte heat pump installation involved seeking a guaranteed HP performance rate, identifying the best pricing and finding a reliable AC service center. But the process is evolving: Modern heat pumps incorporate an accumulation of innovative technological improvements that ensure higher HP performance, better HP efficiency and cost-effective HP energy consumption.
A recent One Hour Air Conditioning Charlotte article on Charlotte Heat Pump Installation touches on the effectiveness of using a heat pump in regions with yearly temperatures similar to those in Mecklenburg County. In a section dedicated to modern heat pump technology, the article reviews three efficient current approaches to home heating and cooling via HP resources:
- All-Climate HP Systems
- Cold Climate HP Systems
- AND Reverse Cycle Chiller Systems.
In continuance of the One Hour Air Conditioning Charlotte Heat Pump Performance Tips, this article further explores the advanced features of HP equipment now standard in Charlotte Heat Pump Installation projects.
Not Just A Modified Air Conditioning System
In early model heat pumps, the primary focus hinged around central air conditioning with the additional potential to supplement your home or office fuel-driven heat system. Efficiency of the units was limited to the effectiveness of current technology of the age. But now… Modern heat pumps are much more that a mere modified air conditioning system.
Standard compressors are designed to operate on only one setting – full capacity. However, modern heat pump technology includes compressors with the capacity to operate in multiple-speed variables. Two-speed heat pump systems enable environmentally dependent heating or cooling airflow management. For you, this means:
- Reduced compressor wear and tear
- Reduced energy waste
- Better zone control
- A more comfortable home atmosphere
- AND the satisfaction of helping reduce environmental contamination.
HP Technology Improves the Value of Charlotte Heat Pump Installation
Although heat pumps and air conditioners share fundamental components, heat pumps do require some extra equipment. Thus they are somewhat more expensive than a bare-bones central air conditioning system. Here are some average Charlotte Heat Pump Installation with/unit costs included sample prices (1).
Platinum ZM American Standard Pump System – Performance rating: 16 SEER, 2-stage cooling with Energy Star variable-speed 9.0 HSPF heating:
- 2-ton HP Platinum ZM: $4,459
- 3-ton HP Platinum ZM: $4,959
- 4-ton HP Platinum ZM: $5,389
- 5-ton HP Platinum ZM: $5,699.
Compare To Platinum ZM American Standard Packaged Air Conditioning – Performance rating 14 SEER, single-speed blower with Energy Start 2-stage cooling:
- 2-ton A/C Platinum ZM: $3,889
- 3-ton A/C Platinum ZM: $4,159
- 4-ton A/C Platinum ZM: $4,499
- 5-ton A/C Platinum ZM: $4,839.
Even though the listed American Standard package A/C systems are less expensive than the American Standard HP systems, you should notice that the HP performance rating is higher and that the heating system also includes variable speed efficiency.
Charlotte Heat Pump Installation – Performance Tips To Remember
According to the U.S. Department of Energy heat pumps are economical and energy efficient (2). When compared to combustion fuel-fired furnaces, heat pumps typically reduce the relative costs of heating with electricity, gas or fuel oil alone. Heat pump performance tips to remember include:
- Some heat pump models include dual-speed motors on the indoor blowers, some on the outdoor fans and some on both
- Most high-efficiency modern heat pump models also include desuperheaters
- Scroll compressor heat pump technology has proven to provide longer operating life than piston compressor technology
- Some reports indicate that scroll compressor HP technology provides a warmer heating mode with air temperature increases as high as 10° to 15°F (5.6° to 8.3°C)
- Variable-speed blowers minimize drafts, provide more comfortable air velocity and maximize energy savings.
- By recovering wasted cooling mode heat, desuperheater heat pump technology provides supplemental and cost-efficient home water heating at two to three times the efficiency of traditional electric water heaters
- To ensure consistent heating, most modern heat pump systems incorporate backup burners or electric resistance heaters.
Modern Charlotte heat pump installation equipment and services far exceed the external temperature restrictions of early HP technology. Installing a heat pump is cost-effective and reliable in any region with yearly average temperatures similar to Charlotte and other Mecklenburg areas.
For more information on Charlotte heat pump installation, click here.